Monday, April 11, 2022

Wyoming Valley Block Beginnings - Step 1

TODAY IS THE DAY!! 

It's a great day to start this quilt along! 

I have created a Stars in the Valley QAL page on FB 

It’s open so come join even if you are not participating!

I hope you will post your adventures on your project as we go along!


Love to see all the colour ways as we go! 

Hopefully you had a chance to get your pieces cut out! 

If not...no pressure! 

These posts will always be available...forever!

 

My favorite thing about this pattern is how  you make components 

that 

turn into 13 large blocks! 

If you have arranged your pieces into the Steps....

We are going to start with STEP ONE

You will need the light and the dark 8" squares

and

52 - 3 1/2” squares 

On the light 8” square, 

draw a line from corner to corner on each square

Next

 Sandwich the dark and light squares with RIGHT sides together

Take to the machine

 and

 sew a 1/4" on each side of the lines


In both directions from corner to corner 


Next you cut from corner to corner 
as well as
center to center 


This will yield 8 half square triangle units.
I like to press my blocks with the seam towards the dark side. 



You can square them up now or later

I love my Blocloc rulers for squaring up HST’s


These should measure 3 1/2” square 
and 
you will have 156 HST’S


This pattern is pretty precise 


So No one will judge you if you don’t bother to square up! 

I didn’t and it turned out just fine….

You do you! 
Next I laid out the pieces to match this…


Took them to the bed of my machine 


Put right sides together 


Stitch the two units chain pieced
(If you want to)


I pressed my seams to the dark side 
And 
Everything will nest very well when you put right sides together again to complete this unit! 

I snip the little chain stitch before taking to the iron! 


I took a class from John Flynn years ago

He told us about giving this center seam a twist to pull the stitches apart on the backside


It will open up that center and lay the four little squares to press flat! 


Works every time! 



Taaahhh daahhh! 


You have made your first step with your corner blocks complete! 

You will have 52 units of Wyoming Valley Block! 

Onward and upward….

Christa










2 comments:

Thank you for reading and hope your enjoyed!!

Bucket Bag Tutorial

 I thought I would try to show you how to make one of these bucket bags... They are fast and easy. I used 2 Fat Quarters and some batting. I...