Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Cherrywood Challenge 2023

 

Well now....

I can not believe my Cherrywood entry for 2023 was chosen to travel! 

That is 6 years in a row.

Every year I tell myself...

'this is where it ends!'

I am so honoured! 

The theme was Monarch with only these colors. 

Same criteria...

20"x20"

Only Cherrywood Fabrics from the bundle.

Monarch inspired

This is mine! 

It makes it's first appearance at Houston Quilt Festival next week!! 



I got my inspiration when we went to Las Vegas last November.

The floors in the Wynn Hotel were covered in butterflies on point!



Even the walls!


I had been following Timna Tarr for a while now 
and 
this looked so much like some of her works! 



I had taken an online class with her that fall. 

I figured this was the perfect size to try out her technique!


I started with a picture I found on Pinterest as a starting point



I gridded it by folding into 1"x 1" increments
(yup..insert CRAZY here)


Did a little coloring to make best use of all the colors..


It was CAT(Lucy) approved...


I started with row 1


Easy peasy...just shades of green


Yes...I questioned my sanity
 when 
I got half way through the applique of each little square 


But I was loving the results


If you get a chance to stop by the exhibit in Houston be sure to check it out!

These quilters are incredible with their talent and thinking outside the box. 

These little 20" works of art are stunning in their techniques and talent of each quilter. 

I can not believe they think any of mine were good enough to be part of these exhibits!

Here are my entries from the past...

This was my first time entry to these challenges

2018 - VanGogh


I figured I love blue...let's see what we can do!

2019 - Prince
(the singer - since he lived in Minnesota where Cherrywood Fabrics is)


I loved purple... what the heck?!!

2019 - Princess Dianna


I don't love pink
 but
 knew as a Canadian I had to try to do Lady Di some justice

Lady Di has been everywhere like me..

Even France and is still on tour!

2020 - Bob Ross


There are no mistakes...just happy accidents! 

I watched Bob with my mom as she has been a painter all her life! 

Was sooo sure this was a loser...what do I know! 

And seriously...where were we going in 2020....

NO WHERE!


2021 - Graffiti

This was my first attempt....


I was just putting some finishing touches on it 
and 
this wave of 'THIS IS NOT THE ONE' came over me.

I had this idea first so I scraped up what scraps I had left and made a second one. 

I should have followed my heart in the first place! 

This is travelling some where in the world as we type.

My Weapon of Mass Creation! 


So give yourself a shot at trying something new! 

You never know! 

This year is Poppies.



Just click here if you're interested! 


 It was just announced so you have lots of time.  

I ordered my bundle from Cotton Harvest Quilt Shop in Ontario

Thanks for reading! 

Now go.... be creative!

Christa






6 comments:

  1. I wish I had your kind of crazy...but I just don't!! Beautiful, Christa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure do... we just need to get you to drink more... and not water! lol

      Delete
  2. I love that you keep challenging yourself. Thank you for the step through your creative process. Can't wait to see what you do with the Poppies theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you so much for reading. I always am interested in seeing others ways of doing things. I try to remember to take pics but sometimes I get tooo wrapped up!

      Delete
  3. Your work is incredible! Congrats on 6 years running in the challenges! Hello from a fellow Canadian, now in Minnesota, and blessed to be the dyer of all that luscious Cherrywood fabric😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOOOOVE your job! I would be there early every day! What an amazing place to work at! Great job! Much appreciated! You do beautiful work as well! What part of Canada?

      Delete

Thank you for reading and hope your enjoyed!!

Bucket Bag Tutorial

 I thought I would try to show you how to make one of these bucket bags... They are fast and easy. I used 2 Fat Quarters and some batting. I...