Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Amalfi Coast and Pompeii


We were picked up by Luca on this day! 

He took us for a drive on the Amalfi Coast in Italy.


These little towns were built on the side of cliffs.

We stopped for sip and a bite


How cute was Anita's tea pot! 


This eclair was divine! 


Lunch was in Sorrento 


We loved to check out where the locals shop


This market was so vibrant with color!


I was about to squeeze the lemons when I noticed a sign saying

"DON'T squeeze the fruit" 

I guess it's too inviting! 


We brought home a delicious Parmesan wedge.

We found a fire roasted Pizza place


It was half calzone and half pizza! 

Mount Vesuvius...


I have waited my whole life to check this out
(this and the pyramids...)

This volcano erupted August 24, 79 AD

It covered this city in 11 meters of ash 
and 
killed thousands of people

It was 12 square kilometers when it was covered. 

They have only uncovered a portion of the area so far.

Their streets were 'paved' with stones


These were walk ways between sidewalks
allowing 
chariots to pass through and people to walk across


You can see the wear marks from the chariot wheels 

The Romans were INCREDIBLE builders. 

Look at these floors!!


Murals





The theater



It is said that these people were small and short 
but 
why would they build the shelves so high?



They had plumbing in 79 AD!!!!


They didn't know the lead pipes were killing them 
but
seriously...Plumbing!! 

They have unearthed many of the deceased.

They fill the cavity with plaster in order to get a cast 
before 
digging the rest of the body out.


They suspect this causality was a woman as she had a baby bulge. 


They had 2000 casts at one time 
but
lost many to bombing in World War 2


There were taverns and shops of all kinds



This was a tavern with the wine vessels in the back. 


Court yards


The male anatomy represented power to them 
so 
lots of engravings like this...


The mosaic floors were incredible. 


Their road building skills are something to learn from! 



This house had a beautiful back yard with fountains 
and
gardens. 



These were the Roman baths with their amazing hot water spas


This was a very modern city! 


We just don't build things like this anymore. 

So much architectural style!


We didn't see many cats in our journey at all


This cat was a resident of Pompeii ruins. 

The guy in front of us was petting him! 


I think he loved cats... 

And probably dogs as he had a bulldog on the other calf! 

They still have acres of Pompeii to uncover 
and
 have preserved it for future digs. 

I was in awe of all I saw. 

By the end of this day, I thought I was DONE! 


My feet were killing me 
and
I was exhausted but pushed through it.

After all.... when will I get back to Pompeii??


Then my mom sent me a picture of my dad's ankle! 


He broke it riding his dirt bike that day! 


My feet felt alot better after that! 
lol

He's on the mend!

Should be back up and running in a few weeks! 

Christa
































No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and hope your enjoyed!!

Bucket Bag Tutorial

 I thought I would try to show you how to make one of these bucket bags... They are fast and easy. I used 2 Fat Quarters and some batting. I...