Monday, November 14, 2022

When in Rome....Vatican and Coliseum

 It's crazy what gets my attention when I am travelling!  


I would have loved to check this out but didn't have time!

I wonder how my quilt for the Cherrywood Challenge compared
 to
 the real thing??


We knew this was going to be a BIG day! 

Who does the Coliseum AND the Vatican on one day??


Why us... of course...

 We don't know if we will be back
and
I had to see BOTH!! 


Our Driver for the day was Massimo

He even had a street named after him! lol


He started off the day a tad grouchy
but 
by lunch, I had him on the right side of positive 
and
we were good to go! 

Everyone's driver drove the same black van 
so
 we got smart and took a picture of the licence! 


He took us to fabulous roman fountains





I think it helped that we bought Massimo lunch! 


I asked him about Porchetta and where his favorite cafe was.


He took us to Porchetta and Vino


It did not disappoint! 


We headed to the Coliseum 



Can you imagine what this looked like in it's prime?


It was impressive in this state! 







There would have been a wood floor over all these rooms.

This is where the animals were housed.





These people were incredible architects

I can only imagine the man power it took to build


The artifacts were equally impressive in the scultures



Every thing is so ornate! 


I am sure Massimo thought we were terrible tourists 
as
we are all about seeing it and moving on to the next!


We are not shoppers at all!! 


Look at the shape of these buildings!


No streets were square.

It was like a bunch of spider webs branching out. 

We went to check out the Pantheon


Problem was the line up was INSANE! 


So I had to check the inside out on Youtube! 


So we checked out another cathedral




It's crazy to think of the opulence of these churches 
and
how poor the followers were. 











Massimo handed us off to our next guide who fast tracked us through the Vatican








Wow....


Vatican City is 121 acres and is it's own state! 


It makes over 80 Million Euros a year from tourism.








Michelangelo's work was incredible here as well!   


He was so incredibly talented... I am in awe!







You can't see it very well... 

but 

there was a walkway up on this dome
(LOOK at the paintings on this dome)


The letters on the edge of this dome are 1 meter high!!

The people looked like bugs that how high they were! 



There were 180M walk ways lined with Roman scultures
 so
 the Popes could walk between buildings.



One room was filled with just animal scultures! 


I can't even give you the proper perspective of the size of these statues! 


This lady was getting her picture taken...



Look how small they look! 

Look at Arnold by these pillars!!!


I can't even imagine how they constructed these way back when!! 


I would love to show you pics of the Sistine Chapel 
but
you were not allowed to take pictures! 

We were one of the few people who didn't! 

You were not supposed to talk or video!

Two more bucket list checks! 

Christa 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and hope your enjoyed!!

Bucket Bag Tutorial

 I thought I would try to show you how to make one of these bucket bags... They are fast and easy. I used 2 Fat Quarters and some batting. I...